At last the day for the final lesson arrived, and as I told you, it proved a very interesting one. The children answered all the questions, and that made Grandmother very happy for she felt that the story time had been well spent.
The following is a list of the questions. See how many you can answer without referring to the text and then we will have the story of the "Golden Age."
- What nation controlled the world when Jesus Christ was born?
- How did the Romans treat the early Christians?
- How did their persecutions end?
- Did the Christians give up their faith during the days of persecution?
- Where did they practice their religion?
- Where and what are the Catacombs?
- Where do we find the first Christian paintings?
- Under what form did Christian painting appear?
- Why did St. Augustine call the early Christian paintings "The books of the Unlearned?"
- Mention a few of the Christian symbols to be found in the Catacombs.
A Procession in the Catacomb of Callistus
- What subjects are used in the pictures that adorn the walls of the Chapels in the Catacombs?
- When did Christianity become the national religion of the Roman Empire?
- How was Christian Art affected by Constantine changing the seat of Government from Rome to Byzantium, and what was it called?
- What was the type of paintings done during the Byzantine period?
- Tell me something about their makeup.
- Did Italian painters like the Byzantine style?
- When was an improvement brought about, and how?
- Who was the first great painter of the Christian era?
- Tell the story of his life and work.
- Who was the next great painter?
Madonna Enthroned, 1310
- Tell what you have learned about him.
- Who was Fra Angelico?
- How did his work differ from that of other artists?
- Tell me something about this saintly man.
- Where was his best works done? Mention some of them.
- Who was Masaccio?
- What contributions did he make to the world of art?
- What are his best known frescoes, and when were they painted?
- Tell the story of "St. Peter Healing the Cripple" - St. Peter raising Tabitha."
- Who were Hubert and Jan Van Eyck?
Antonello da Messina (1430-1479)
- Who was Antonella of Messina?
- Why are Giovanni and Gentile Bellini important in the field of art?
- Were their works of the same type?
- Tell me something about them.
- Who was Filippo Lippi?
- What do you know about his works?
- What was his son's name? Was he an artist too?
- Who was Sandro Botticelli?
- Tell me what you know about him.
- What was the next period in the world of Art?
Page 12 of 15